Magalang prides itself of having one of the oldest agricultural school, a weather observatory and research station established by the Spaniards in the late 19th century. The Pampanga Agricultural College is located at the foot of Mt. Arayat. This state-owned college is the center for agri-based education in the province.Legend & History
An original settlement named Magalang was located farther north, in Macapsa; due to its proximity to Cuayan and Maisac Rivers which frequently flooded it, the people transferred to San Bartolome, which turned out to have worse flooding caused by the Parua River (now Sacobia-Bamban River).
Magalang's principales, namely the Suing, Cortez, Pineda and Luciano families, decided to divide the town into two: some families moved north of the river to a placed called Sto. Niño, which they renamed Concepcion; the other families remained in San Bartolome and retained the name Magalang. On September 22, 1858, floods transformed Magalang into a lake.
The town was transferred once again, this time to present site, farther south. San Bartolome, the old Magalang site, came to be known as 'Balen Melacuan' (abandoned town) and is now a barrio of Concepcion; Magalang's present site is in Talimundoc or San Pedro, which is why the complete name of the town is San Pedro de Magalang (although its patron saint remains to be San Bartolome, whose feast day is August 24).
The town was formally established on December 24, 1863. Some scholars theorize that the first settlers of Magalang were migrants from a village in Indonesia called 'Magelang,' which was also located at the foot of a volcano that resembled Mount Arayat. In Bergano's dictionary, 'magalang' was an ancient Kapampangan word for abundance.
—Search Google's Top 10 Websites on Magalang, Pampanga.
—Read Wikipedia's Entry on Magalang, Pampanga.
—View Flickr's Image Slideshow on Magalang, Pampanga.