Bacolor is home to the oldest vocational school in the Far East, the Escuela de Artes y Oficios de Bacolor, which was established on November 4, 1861. The school is now the present-day Don Honorio Ventura College of Arts and Trades. Also, one of the Philippines's oldest churches, the San Guillermo Parish Church, was built in this town in 1754.
The town's contribution to the province's famous culinary treats are the incomparable 'pansit luglug' or 'pansit palabok,' the 'tamales,' 'suman bulagta,' 'puto seco,' and 'sopas' (special mamon).Legend & History
Pre-Hispanic Bacolor was called Bakulud, from the word 'makabakulud,' meaning upland surrounded by lowland ('cababan' or 'babo lubao' in ancient Kapampangan). In 1576, a local landlord, Guillermo Manabat, with the help of the Spaniards, founded the pueblo and dedicated the church to his namesake, San Guillermo Ermitano, whose feast is celebrated on February 10 (the other great feast of Bacolor is La Naval in May).
Bacolor was the capital of the Philippines during the British occupation of Manila in 1762-1763 when the Spaniards under Simon de Anda retreated in this town. It then became known as 'Villa de Bacolor' on the basis of a royal decree of the King of Spain. It was also the provincial capital for almost three hundred years. Additional Resources:
—Search Google's Top 10 Websites on Bacolor, Pampanga.
—Read Wikipedia's Entry on Bacolor, Pampanga.
—View Flickr's Image Slideshow on Bacolor, Pampanga.